MII-TOOLSection: Maintenance Commands (8)
Updated: 2000/04/25 22:58:19
Index Return to Main Contents
NAMEmii-tool - view, manipulate media-independent interface status
SYNOPSISmii-tool [-v, --verbose] [-V, --version] [-R, --reset] [-r, --restart] [-w, --watch] [-l, --log] [-A, --advertise=media,...] [-F, --force=media] interface ...
NOTEThis program is obsolete. Valid media are only 100baseT4, 100baseTx-FD,100baseTx-HD, 10baseT-FD and 10baseT-HD ethernet cards. For replacement check ethtool.
DESCRIPTIONThis utility checks or sets the status of a network interface's Media Independent Interface (MII) unit. Most fast ethernet adapters use an MII to autonegotiate link speed and duplex setting.
Most intelligent network devices use an autonegotiation protocol to communicate what media technologies they support, and then select the fastest mutually supported media technology. The -A or --advertise options can be used to tell the MII to only advertise a subset of its capabilities. Some passive devices, such as single-speed hubs, are unable to autonegotiate. To handle such devices, the MII protocol also allows for establishing a link by simply detecting either a 10baseT or 100baseT link beat. The -F or --force options can be used to force the MII to operate in one mode, instead of autonegotiating. The -A and -F options are mutually exclusive.
- -v, --verbose
- Display more detailed MII status information. If used twice, also display raw MII register contents.
- -V, --version
- Display program version information.
- -R, --reset
- Reset the MII to its default configuration.
- -r, --restart
- Restart autonegotiation.
- -w, --watch
- Watch interface(s) and report changes in link status. The MII interfaces are polled at one second intervals.
- -l, --log
- Used with -w, records link status changes in the system log instead of printing on standard output.
- -F media, --force=media
- Disable autonegotiation, and force the MII to either 100baseTx-FD, 100baseTx-HD, 10baseT-FD, or 10baseT-HD operation.
- -A media,..., --advertise=media,...
Enable and restart autonegotiation, and advertise only the specified
media technologies. Multiple technologies should be separated by
commas. Valid media are 100baseT4, 100baseTx-FD,
100baseTx-HD, 10baseT-FD, and 10baseT-HD.
AUTHORSDavid Hinds - firstname.lastname@example.org
Donald Becker - email@example.com
This document was created by man2html, using the manual pages.
Time: 05:34:27 GMT, December 24, 2015