RUNUSERSection: User Commands (1)
Updated: June 2012
Index Return to Main Contents
NAMErunuser - run a shell with substitute user and group IDs
SYNOPSISrunuser [OPTION]... [-] [USER [ARG]...]
Change the effective user id and group id to that of USER. Only session PAM hooks are run, and there is no password prompt. This command is useful only when run as the root user. If run as a non-root user without privilege to set user ID, the command will fail as the binary is not setuid. As runuser doesn't run auth and account PAM hooks, it runs with lower overhead than su.
- -, -l, --login
- make the shell a login shell, uses runuser-l PAM file instead of default one
- -g --group=group
- specify the primary group
- -G --supp-group=group
- specify a supplemental group
- -c, --command=COMMAND
- pass a single COMMAND to the shell with -c
- pass a single COMMAND to the shell with -c and do not create a new session
- -f, --fast
- pass -f to the shell (for csh or tcsh)
- -m, --preserve-environment
- do not reset environment variables
- same as -m
- -s, --shell=SHELL
- run SHELL if /etc/shells allows it
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
AUTHORWritten by David MacKenzie, Dan Walsh.
REPORTING BUGSReport runuser bugs to firstname.lastname@example.org
GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/>
General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>
Report runuser translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/>
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
- More detailed Texinfo documentation could be found by command
- info coreutils aqsu invocationaq
- since the command runuser is trimmed down version of command su.
This document was created by man2html, using the manual pages.
Time: 05:29:10 GMT, December 24, 2015