PRINTFSection: User Commands (1)
Updated: June 2012
Index Return to Main Contents
NAMEprintf - format and print data
SYNOPSISprintf FORMAT [ARGUMENT]...
Print ARGUMENT(s) according to FORMAT, or execute according to OPTION:
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
FORMAT controls the output as in C printf. Interpreted sequences are:
- double quote
- alert (BEL)
- produce no further output
- form feed
- new line
- carriage return
- horizontal tab
- vertical tab
- byte with octal value NNN (1 to 3 digits)
- byte with hexadecimal value HH (1 to 2 digits)
- Unicode (ISO/IEC 10646) character with hex value HHHH (4 digits)
- Unicode character with hex value HHHHHHHH (8 digits)
- a single %
- ARGUMENT as a string with `\' escapes interpreted, except that octal escapes are of the form \0 or \0NNN
and all C format specifications ending with one of diouxXfeEgGcs, with ARGUMENTs converted to proper type first. Variable widths are handled.
AUTHORWritten by David MacKenzie.
REPORTING BUGSReport printf bugs to email@example.com
GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/>
General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>
Report printf translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/>
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
The full documentation for printf is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and printf programs are properly installed at your site, the command
- info coreutils aqprintf invocationaq
should give you access to the complete manual.
This document was created by man2html, using the manual pages.
Time: 05:29:09 GMT, December 24, 2015