MKTEMPSection: User Commands (1)
Updated: June 2012
Index Return to Main Contents
NAMEmktemp - create a temporary file or directory
SYNOPSISmktemp [OPTION]... [TEMPLATE]
Create a temporary file or directory, safely, and print its name. TEMPLATE must contain at least 3 consecutive `X's in last component. If TEMPLATE is not specified, use tmp.XXXXXXXXXX, and --tmpdir is implied.
- -d, --directory
- create a directory, not a file
- -u, --dry-run
- do not create anything; merely print a name (unsafe)
- -q, --quiet
- suppress diagnostics about file/dir-creation failure
- append SUFF to TEMPLATE. SUFF must not contain slash. This option is implied if TEMPLATE does not end in X.
- interpret TEMPLATE relative to DIR. If DIR is not specified, use $TMPDIR if set, else /tmp. With this option, TEMPLATE must not be an absolute name. Unlike with -t, TEMPLATE may contain slashes, but mktemp creates only the final component.
- -p DIR
- use DIR as a prefix; implies -t [deprecated]
- interpret TEMPLATE as a single file name component, relative to a directory: $TMPDIR, if set; else the directory specified via -p; else /tmp [deprecated]
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
AUTHORWritten by Jim Meyering and Eric Blake.
REPORTING BUGSReport mktemp bugs to firstname.lastname@example.org
GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/>
General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>
Report mktemp translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/>
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
SEE ALSOmkstemp(3), mkdtemp(3), mktemp(3)
The full documentation for mktemp is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and mktemp programs are properly installed at your site, the command
- info coreutils aqmktemp invocationaq
should give you access to the complete manual.
This document was created by man2html, using the manual pages.
Time: 05:29:06 GMT, December 24, 2015