CUTSection: User Commands (1)
Updated: June 2012
Index Return to Main Contents
NAMEcut - remove sections from each line of files
SYNOPSIScut OPTION... [FILE]...
Print selected parts of lines from each FILE to standard output.
Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
- -b, --bytes=LIST
- select only these bytes
- -c, --characters=LIST
- select only these characters
- -d, --delimiter=DELIM
- use DELIM instead of TAB for field delimiter
- -f, --fields=LIST
- select only these fields; also print any line that contains no delimiter character, unless the -s option is specified
- with -b: don't split multibyte characters
- complement the set of selected bytes, characters or fields
- -s, --only-delimited
- do not print lines not containing delimiters
- use STRING as the output delimiter the default is to use the input delimiter
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
Use one, and only one of -b, -c or -f. Each LIST is made up of one range, or many ranges separated by commas. Selected input is written in the same order that it is read, and is written exactly once. Each range is one of:
- N'th byte, character or field, counted from 1
- from N'th byte, character or field, to end of line
- from N'th to M'th (included) byte, character or field
- from first to M'th (included) byte, character or field
AUTHORWritten by David M. Ihnat, David MacKenzie, and Jim Meyering.
REPORTING BUGSReport cut bugs to firstname.lastname@example.org
GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/>
General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>
Report cut translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/>
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
SEE ALSOThe full documentation for cut is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and cut programs are properly installed at your site, the command
- info coreutils aqcut invocationaq
should give you access to the complete manual.
This document was created by man2html, using the manual pages.
Time: 05:29:02 GMT, December 24, 2015