CPANSection: Perl Programmers Reference Guide (1)
Index Return to Main Contents
NAMEcpan - easily interact with CPAN from the command line
# with arguments and no switches, installs specified modules cpan module_name [ module_name ... ] # with switches, installs modules with extra behavior cpan [-cfimt] module_name [ module_name ... ] # without arguments, starts CPAN.pm shell cpan # without arguments, but some switches cpan [-ahrvACDLO]
DESCRIPTIONThis script provides a command interface (not a shell) to CPAN. At the moment it uses CPAN.pm to do the work, but it is not a one-shot command runner for CPAN.pm.
Meta OptionsThese options are mutually exclusive, and the script processes them in this order: [hvCAar]. Once the script finds one, it ignores the others, and then exits after it finishes the task. The script ignores any other command line options.
- Creates the CPAN.pm autobundle with CPAN::Shell->autobundle.
- -A module [ module ... ]
- Shows the primary maintainers for the specified modules
- -C module [ module ... ]
- Show the "Changes" files for the specified modules
- -D module [ module ... ]
- Show the module details. This prints one line for each out-of-date module (meaning, modules locally installed but have newer versions on CPAN). Each line has three columns: module name, local version, and CPAN version.
- -L author [ author ... ]
- List the modules by the specified authors.
- Prints a help message.
- Show the out-of-date modules.
- Recompiles dynamically loaded modules with CPAN::Shell->recompile.
- Print the script version and CPAN.pm version.
Module optionsThese options are mutually exclusive, and the script processes them in alphabetical order. It only processes the first one it finds.
- Runs a `make clean` in the specified module's directories.
- Forces the specified action, when it normally would have failed.
- Installed the specified modules.
- Makes the specified modules.
- Runs a `make test` on the specified modules.
# print a help message cpan -h # print the version numbers cpan -v # create an autobundle cpan -a # recompile modules cpan -r # install modules ( sole -i is optional ) cpan -i Netscape::Booksmarks Business::ISBN # force install modules ( must use -i ) cpan -fi CGI::Minimal URI
BUGS* none noted
SEE ALSOMost behaviour, including environment variables and configuration, comes directly from CPAN.pm.
SOURCE AVAILABILITYThis source is part of a SourceForge project which always has the latest sources in CVS, as well as all of the previous releases.
CREDITSJapheth Cleaver added the bits to allow a forced install (-f).
Jim Brandt suggest and provided the initial implementation for the up-to-date and Changes features.
AUTHORbrian d foy, "<email@example.com>"
COPYRIGHTCopyright (c) 2001-2006, brian d foy, All Rights Reserved.
You may redistribute this under the same terms as Perl itself.
- TO DO
- SEE ALSO
- SOURCE AVAILABILITY
This document was created by man2html, using the manual pages.
Time: 05:29:02 GMT, December 24, 2015